Thursday, October 19, 2006

Yorktown Day

On this date in 1781, British troops officially surrendered to General Washington and his army at Yorktown, Virginia, marking the end of major combat in the Revolutionary War. Here are some pictures from when I was an intern at Yorktown Battlefield in the summer of 2000.

This is in front of Surrender Field. And yes, that's me with short hair. I went through a bad hair phase in college.



This is where we did the artillery demonstrations. That was my favorite part of the job.



This is Moore House, where the surrender capitulations took place. Most of us on staff didn't like working in this house. It was removed from the rest of the town so it didn't get a lot of visitors. Plus it was rumored to be haunted. It kind of freaked me out being there by myself for 4 hours at a time.



This is the Yorktown Victory Monument. I believe it was built to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the battle.



One weekend during the summer we did a living history interpretation. I played the role of a loyalist who was married to a British officer. Contrary to popular belief, not all colonists were patriots. Many still remained loyal the British crown. The Revolution was much like the Civil War in that brothers and friends often fought on different sides.

No comments: